Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Twas the Night Before a Test

Mrs. Ferguson's 4th grade students created the following story:

Twas the Night Before a Test
by
Mrs. Ferguson’s Fourth Grade

Twas the night before a test, and I was so confused.
I could hardly think at dinner. “Mom, can I be excused?”
I had to go study for my math test on the double
My brain wasn’t working, so I was in big trouble.

The angles and addition signs were making me dizzy.
I couldn’t think at all because I was so busy.
I looked at the clock and it was ticking so fast.
I left the subtraction and variables for last.

The clock struck midnight and I jumped into bed
As I was dreaming of the test I did dread.
I tossed and turned all through the night;
This big math test was giving me a fright!

At 6:45, I sprang from my bed
I was so nervous, I punched my brother’s head.
I felt like a big, idiotic fool.
“Oh please, Mom , I’m sick; I don’t want to go to school!”

As I threw on my favorite orange sweatshirt,
I was thinking so hard that my brain really hurt.
I packed my lunch and put it in my red backpack.
The anxiety was killing me; I started to yak.

I walked outside and saw my neighbor, Gus.
Then it caught my eye- that big, yellow bus.
I sat right next to my best buddy
On the way to the Woodville, I started to study.




We got into class and separated our seats
I didn’t want to sit near anyone who cheats.
Decimals, measurement, adding, and fractions
I couldn’t concentrate with so many distractions.

I was so nervous that my heart skipped a beat.
My body was shaking from my head to my feet.
I didn’t know the answer to question number four
Oh my gosh! I can’t stand it anymore!

Question ten was an open response on a chart.
I’ll write, “My work is in the grid.” It makes me look smart.
When I finished my test, I thought I was going to flunk.
My best subject is science. In math, I really stunk.

I came back from art with the picture I painted
Then I walked into the classroom and suddenly fainted.
My friend, Isabella, asked, “Are you all right?”
“I am just fine, but the test grade gives me a fright.”

I got up and slowly limped to my desk in pain.
Mrs. F saw my fall and gave me a candy cane.
Shivering in fear, not knowing what was to come.
I plopped in my seat thinking that I was dumb.

On my desk was the test, but I covered my eyes
Then I opened them and saw a great, big surprise.
Twenty out of twenty! What an excellent score!
Even on my open response, I received a 4!